MTG Discussion : Standard : Planeswalkers, emblems, tips. Part 1: Core
I wanted to discuss some of the planeswalkers in current standard environment and their added value to the decks.
At this moment there are 14 planeswalkers available for standard :
Core(M2010) : Ajani Goldmane, Chandra Nalaar, Garruk Wildspeaker, Jace Beleren, Liliana Vess
Zendikar : Chandra Ablaze, Nissa Revane, Sorin Markov
Wordwake : Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Rise of the Eldrazi : Gideon Jura, Sarkhan The Mad
Scars of Mirrodin: Elspeth Tirel, Koth of the Hammer, Venser, the Sojourner
Will discuss the Core Planewalkers in this article.
Breakdown of abilities of the planeswalkers :
Ajani Goldmane has seen his peak in the Lorwyn environment with the kithkin deck. After that he was shadowed by his ascended version that has seen sensible more play that the original version. He now awaits for a new weenie strategy that will awaken his powers. The current decks that support the white planeswalker is WW Quest, that is too fast for his powers.
Chandra has seen her best in the best card to kill Baneslayer Angel in the R/x decks that could not support Black. The ability to kill BSA and still remain on the battle field was a valuable asset even for 5cc cost.
Although i rarely seen her going ultimate, the ping and the -x damage ability proving enough to maintain a better battlefield state.
Currently it finds some way in soem of the Red variants, or in the BR archetypes (not Vamps). I currently believe that is still good, making room for her in a Bloodchief Ascension Deck.
Garruk is one of the planeswalkers that were designed with one goal, and it didn’t received an ascended version. His goal is quite simple : Make mana at the beginning to put creatures on the battlefield, pump them for alpha strike.
He is now seen spending time and herding elves along with Nissa Revane, or lending a hand to some G/x/y Planewalker Decks. lately i have seen a GWU ramp deck that uses it, to pop out Acidic slime or Frost Titans, along with fellow Venser, the Sojourner.
His time has not past, and i still see a future in deck involving him. Maybe Infect decks. who knows.
Jace Beleren is the best among the first planewalkers brought to this game by Wizards. He was a good contender in Fae lists, In 5cc lists, and after in UW lists, Jacerator lists, nad now in UB, UW and almost any deck that uses Blue as a main colour.
His low cc, makes him a very good 3rd turn drop, netting a card. Also his synergies with Sun Titan, and keeping Jace 2.0 at bay, makes him almost indispensable in the blue decks. Even if his Ultimate is not going to see many activations any time soon, the first ability keeps him in high value.
I do not expect to see him drop in value any time soon, at least until Jacce2.0 will remain in standard. After the rotation in next October, Jace Beleren will still be valued as probably it will remain in Core Edition. Remaining the sole 3cc planeswalker cards, it finds value anywhere.
Liliana was my favourite planewalker ever. The sexy , black mana wielder reminded me of Braids, Phage, and Vampiric Tutors. Her 5 CC made her quite unacceptable to play in certain control decks that do not want to tap out to play a 5 mana planeswalker, even to tutor for any card, they rather draw their deck out to find solutions. It was still played in the combo decks, i personally enjoyed the Brilliant Ultimatum deck. Anyway she is a top contended for EDH deck.
Her abilities the dominatrix : discard (mind break) the opponent’s cards, fetch certain cards, commandeer the fallen heroes that subdued.
It is still my favourite PW. I simply cannot not to like her.
The only Standard deck that i can think of that can include her services is the MonoBlack Control Deck.
- MTG Standard Deck : UW Proliferate (testing) I was testing this archetype for some time now (2...
- MTG Standard Deck : UW Proliferate V2 For teh first verion of the deck :UW proliferate v1....
- Decklists : Brilliant Ultimatum – ex-Standard and new Extended. I personally liked this deck. It suited my playing style...
- Wizards are involving themselves into EDH Wizards of the Coast are involving themselves into the EDH...
- EDH Watchlist: Declaration of Naught Discussion Declaration of Naught si currently unbanned. Post pros and cons...
- MTG Discussion : Standard : Planeswalkers, emblems, tips. Part 2: Zendikar | Killing time……only that is left to kill
- Romanian WMCQ #2 – Decklists
- Romania World Magic Cup Qualifiers 2013
- [Romania] [GamesStop] PTQ Dragonmaze Bucharest 23.02.2013
- A judge’s Life : GP Bilbao
- MTG Judge Fun: Layers
- Edh Decks: Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
- PTQ GateCrash Sofia *HJ Report*
- MTG Tourney at GamesStop on 3-4 November
- MTG Tourney at Le & Le Games
- Blood Moon Effect