GS Championship Report
Although late, i found time to write my report of GS Championship 2010.
I predicted that the format will overwhelmed by Control decks, so i chose to play a Blue-Black Control with some changes.
The deck i played :
4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Tectonic Edge
Removal/Filtering/Card Draw (17)
3 Doom Blade
1 Consuming Vapors
2 Into the Roil
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Jace’s Ingenuity
4 Mana Leak
1 Stoic Rebuttal
3 Mindbreak Trap
2 Jace Beleren
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Sorin Markov
1 Grave Titan
2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle
2 Spell Pierce
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Consume the Meek
I wanted some more control, and counters, but not to lose focus on aggro decks.
Card Choices :
- Mindbreak trap for Eldrazi green, and Gaea’s Revenge and other annoying threats.
- Singletons Stoic rebuttal, Cancel, Deprive are uset to have another give the feeling of a deeper counter threat of this deck, as the opponenet would not know how many of them you are playing
- Removals : 1 disfigure for Guide, mana dorks, ww quest dorks. Doom blade for the rest. 1 Vapours to bigger threats. Into the roil for everything else
- Card Advantage : 4 jace’s Ingenuity seems too many. Preordain to filter. 2/3 Jace as to win the Jace Wars
- Other Threats : Grave Titan, Sphinx of Jwar Isle and Sorin Markov. I wanted to have a diversity of threats (and more than 2), as many decks do not have answers to all of them. MVP was Sphinx of Jwar Isle, but i would not play more than 2.
- Consume the meek : elves/ww quest/boros
- Ratchet bomb : elves/ww quest/boros/grave titan/ other low CC threats
- Counters : agains UW/UB that are packed with lots of counters, especially the UB 13 counter deck
- Smother/Disfigure : elves/ww quest/ creeping tar pits/boros/various aggro decks
Round 1 : Robert Mares : WR Boros
Match 1 he wrecks me with a very good and constant threat count.
Sb : i side in disfigures/smother/consume the meek and side out 2 sphinx, 3mindbreak trap, 1 Sorin.
Match 2, i get enough removal to keep the board clear, when i land the Titan.
Match 3, he gets mana screwed, while i had an active Jace2.0, and a hand of 2 counters and 2 removals.
Round 2: Andrei Brad : Eldrazi Elves
Match 1 i win solely on my threats and countermagic, and he was out of the game by not drawing enough guys.
Sideboard : Disfigure/smother/consume the meek/ratchet bomb and sb-ed out 2sphinks , 1 sorin, 2 mindbreak traps, 2 baby jace.
Match 2: i make a crucial mistake of not computing well the garruk overrun and lose horribly.
Match 3 : i won, because i filtered all removal into my hand, and he ran out of threats, while i put a jace2.0 on table.
Round 3: Vlad Osiac : WW Quest
Well another aggro. (we got deckcheck and extension)
Match 1 he gest t2 or t3 armor and i cannot do anything
Match 2: i followed the same sb plan, adding removals and ratchet bombs. Long game, but i won with Jace2.0
Match 3. This was a one sided game, as T4 i swept 2 quests and soem creatures with Ratchet, and at th eend of T5 the talbe looked on my side: 5 lands untapped, jace at 7, and me holding :1 into the roil, 2 disfigure, 1 doom blade. His table was 4-5 lands.
Round 4 : Alex Stefanescu : Trinket mage UB toolbox (elixir)
We drew and never played.
Round 5 : Dragos patlageanu : UW Control with Oust
We played 2 games before we decided to stop, he won the first, i won the second on Sphinx, and surely the last as my countermagic it was better than his.
That put me at 11 points, and in the first place of constructed part of the tourney.
At draft i worked horribly, as i drafted a URW myr deck, but going 1-2, as the third game i was screwed or flooded (first game i had threats but not enough land, second game i drew 8 lands in 12 cards).My opp played Cerebral eruption wiping my table in both games.
As ending conclusion, i would not change the deck very much, i quite consistent, and does well against aggro match-ups. It only has some problems with the UB13 counters deck, but if u counter the threats sphinx’s u win. Baby jace helps you win the jace wars, so the match could go in your favour). The UB trinket mage is winnable as it play fewer countermagic, and if he cannot resolve an elixir it cannot recur threats. The Tar Pits are mvp’s in this match-ups.
- Report from GS Championship The staff at GS (GamesStop) maneged to compile a tournament...
- Deck Test : new T2 BWu CTRL New deck to test during the next week. For now...
- EDH Watchlist: Declaration of Naught Discussion Declaration of Naught si currently unbanned. Post pros and cons...
- Criteria for banning/unbanning cards in EDH Those of us who work to keep EDH coherent and...
- What Can We Learn What can we learn from the new post rotation...
- [Romania] [Le&Le Games] PTQ Born to the Gods Tg. Mures 15.09.2013
- Romanian WMCQ #2 – Decklists
- Romania World Magic Cup Qualifiers 2013
- [Romania] [GamesStop] PTQ Dragonmaze Bucharest 23.02.2013
- A judge’s Life : GP Bilbao
- MTG Judge Fun: Layers
- Edh Decks: Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
- PTQ GateCrash Sofia *HJ Report*
- MTG Tourney at GamesStop on 3-4 November
- MTG Tourney at Le & Le Games